Sarahlynn's To Do Before I Die List:
1) Watch my kids grown up healthy and happy.
Since I'm trending a bit contrary, my other would-like-tos include:
- Have my whole house organized, top to bottom, with no Monica Closet. Not even a Monica Drawer. Just once, just for a few minutes, just to see what it feels like.
- Publish a good book, to good reviews and sales.
- Find a miracle cure for my feet so that I can rollerblade again.
- While I'm at it, find a miracle cure for cancer. And world hunger. And so forth.
- Have sex with Taye Diggs and his identical twin brother.
OK, well, I don't like New Year's Resolutions and I don't like Bucket Lists, so I don't play nicely with either. My mind just doesn't naturally think in superlatives like, what's my favorite book/movie/song/color? What do I most want to do before I die?
There's a lot of stuff I want to do before I die. There's a lot of stuff I want to do before Easter. There's a lot of stuff I want to do before bed tonight.
But last Sunday, I did "ask" my Sunday School class make some sort of New Year's Resolutions, because the lesson suggested that we do so.
We Believe that our lives are pieces of God's plan. What can we do in our immediate futures to help imagine our eternal lives in God's presence?
Ah, this exercise I like better. It's far less morbid!
- I can practice saying, "Yes."
- And I can stop waiting for the question, looking instead for opportunities to volunteer in ways that make a significant contribution without inspiring me to feel resentful or overwhelmed.
- I can continue the practice I began working so hard on last year, involving compassion and understanding.
And, in the end, I think they're more important and valuable both to me and to others than worrying about when I'll die, or where I'll travel, or even the state of my half-organized basement storage closet.